The Northern Ireland Health Service (HSC) provides the dental treatment necessary for the health of your mouth and teeth. Depending on your circumstances, you may have to pay for dental treatment.
Types of dentist and treatments
You can use a Health Service dentist or a private dentist depending on the type of treatment you would like and how much you are able to afford.
Health Service dentists
You can get the following treatments from your Health Service dentist:
- an examination and assessment
- non-surgical treatment like scaling, polishing, periodontal (gum) treatments, marginal fillings and oral hygiene instruction
- surgical treatments like wisdom and other tooth removal
- root canal fillings
- other treatments like bridges, veneers, crowns, inlays, dentures and disease management
- referral to a dental hospital for specialist treatment
To find your nearest local dental practice go to the HSC Service Finder website
Out of Hours and Emergency Dental Treatment