Acquired Brain Injury Survey Findings22nd March 2023
The Department of Health is reviewing and planning Acquired Brain Injury service provision for the people of Northern Ireland. To ensure these future services are relevant and fit for purpose, we wanted to hear from people in Northern Ireland who are living with an Acquired Brain Injury or from the people who provide their care.
We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your participation in the completion of the survey.
We are now in a position to publish the findings as detailed below.
Main Themes from Service User Survey
- Positive benefits of the social aspect of attending group, the opportunity to interact with other people who have an ABI and level of independence attending group gives them.
- Need for more emphasis on early intervention and rehabilitation
- More support for families
- Need for more support when returning to work
- More education and training in the workforce about the impact of ABI and awareness that it is not always a visible disability
- Timeliness of receipt of information to signpost about financial support and what services are available post hospital discharge
- Request for more access to professional support especially Physiotherapy, Counselling and Psychology
Main Themes from Carers’ Survey
- Lack of access to transport
- Some carers reported that their loved one did not wish to attend any kind of support group
- Need for more appropriate Respite Services
- For those who availed of services their loved ones stated it had a very positive impact.
- Requirement for follow up information and guidance for carers towards ABI services and financial support.
- Quicker intervention and diagnosis which would reduce anxiety and provide better options around rehabilitation
- Need for a Carers Champion/Advocate
- Lack of rehabilitation and follow up services for children post discharge from hospital and at the point of diagnosis.
This feedback was welcomed and will be used in future to inform and design ABI services. Please note: Respite and Children Services sit outside the scope of this survey. Feedback received has been shared with relevant departments.
For further information regarding ABI services:
- Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Northern Health and Social Care Trust
- Western Health and Social Care Trust
- South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust
- Southern Health and Social Care Trust
- Child Brain Injury Trust